email: agilitynut@hotmail.com
Loading

Georgia Greyhound Bus Stations

(hit "refresh" to get the most recent version of this page; click on photos for larger images)

Greyhound Station [gone]
Atlanta, GA
The Atlanta station was designed by Arrasmith and opened in 1940. Unlike "Arra"'s other buildings, this one did not use glass block. Many design elements of this station were used in later ones like that in Cleveland, OH. The use of the Greyhound blue color was reintroduced with this building. The interior included a large restaurant, a barber shop, and a beauty parlor. What was left of this station was fnally demolished around 2007.

former Greyhound Station
Columbus, GA
This Columbus station was built in the 1940s as a Greyhound station. It also served Trailways and other independent companies. By 1956, Greyhound had moved to a new location. Trailways and the other companies continued to use the station. In the late 1980s, the building was restored to function as a "Country's Barbecue" restaurant. It has a late 1940s Greyhound bus which has been converted into a dining area. There is also a mural inside depicting the original waitresses that worked at the Greyhound snack bar. Country's first opened in 1975 in Columbus and now has nine locations in AL. For more, see this website.

former Greyhound Station
Savannah, GA
The Savannah station was built in 1938 as an Atlantic Greyhound station. It was designed by George D. Brown who is responsible for about 60 stations in the South. The streamline moderne building was faced with blue and ivory Vitrolux and had a stainless steel canopy. It also had a neon sign at one time. The battered Greyhound logo was still visible on the pavement in front of the entrance door in 2005.

The building served as an automobile sales room and garage for awhile. Then it was remodeled into the Cafe Metropole restaurant which featured outdoor dining in the loading dock area. They opened in 1997 and closed in 2002. The building has been vacant since. As of 2007 when the bottom row of photos were taken, the building had been stripped and boarded up. Does anyone know what's happening at this point?

Greyhound Station
Toccoa, GA
Greyhound Station
Savannah, GA
The Toccoa station was built in 1949. It has been converted into a restaurant, bar and antiques shop known as "Bus Stop Eats". The building still has the original oak ticket counter which is used as the bar. The bathrooms still have the original black and white tile. For more, see these websites: 1, 2, and 3.

The newer Savannah station has a nice old sign and a mid-century modern canopy. [second photo thanks Lawrence Impey]

Greyhound Station
Columbus, GA
Southeastern Stages Station
Athens, GA
This Columbus Greyhound Station is probably from the 1950s or 1960s.

This Southeastern Stages Station building has been here since at least the 1950s. Greyhound has operated here since at least the 1960s and was probably the original occupant. Trailways and independent carriers have also operated here. For more, see this website.

Main Page