email: agilitynut@hotmail.com
Loading

Rhode Island Diners (page 1)

(hit "refresh" to get the most recent version of this page; click on photos for larger images)

former Champs Diner
Woonsocket, RI
The former Champs Diner is a 1929 Worcester. It was originally installed in Pawtucket, RI and closed in 1989. The diner then sat in a junkyard in Providence, RI for several years. It has been moved here to the Heritage Place development where it will hopefully serve as a diner again.

Modern Diner
Pawtucket, RI
The Modern Diner is a Sterling Streamliner (#4140) from 1940. The flat side was originally butted up against another building when it was downtown. Sterlings could be ordered with either one or two streamlined ends. The Modern Diner fell upon hard times in the 1970s, closed and was boarded up. In 1986, it was sold, restored, and moved to its present location. With its original exterior and interior, it was the first diner to be placed on the National Register of Historic Places. For more, see these websites: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, and 7.

Jigger's Diner
East Greenwich, RI
Jigger's Diner is a 1947 Worcester (#826). It has been located here since 1950. The diner closed in 1983 and remained vacant until it was restored and reopened in 1992. The interior features mahogany booths and trim. These photos are from 2004. In 2010 and 2011, the diner closed and reopened a couple of times. It reopened in 2012 as Jigger's Hill and Harbour Diner.

Liberty Elm Diner
Providence, RI
The Liberty Elm Diner is Worcester (#806) from 1947. It was installed in Providence in 1947 as the Central Diner. It was moved to its present site in 1953 and continued operating as the Central Diner until 1972. The diner then went by many names over the years, including the Elmwood Diner, Jim's Diner, and Louie's Diner. By 2002, it had become the La Criolla Diner (first photo, from 2005). In 2007, it reopened as the Liberty Elm Diner. It is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. In 2013, the diner closed and the property was sold. The fate of the diner is unknown. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [first photo thanks PTM]

former Johnny B's Diner
Cranston, RI
The former Johnny B's Diner was built in 1926 as a horse-pulled lunch wagon. It operated as Johnny B's in Cranston, RI from 1990-2007. In 2007, it was moved to Cranston High School West where there are plans for the students to restore it. For more, see this website.

Star Diner
Rumford, RI
The Star Diner is a DeRaffele from 1951. It was known as "Keenan's Diner" until 1964. It then became a Chinese restaurant known as the "China Star". It was purchased in 2000 by the Sanfords who own the Handy Hill Creamery in Wesport, MA. The diner was restored and reopened in 2003 as the Star Diner. It closed again in 2007. The diner reopened in 2009. However, it closed again in 2010 due to a family illness and is up for sale again. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2.

Seaplane Diner
Providence, RI
The Seaplane Diner is a 1950s O'Mahony. It was originally located in Woonsocket, RI where it was known as Gerard's Diner. The diner was moved here in 1973. The stainless exterior was covered with wood until the late 1990s.

Bishop's Fourth Street Diner
Newport, RI
Bishop's Fourth Street Diner is an O'Mahony from 1952. It was originally located in Swansea, MA. The diner was moved here in the 1960s.

RI (page 2) Diners Main Page

copyright: all photos contained at this website are copyrighted and may be used only with consent

RoadsideArchitecture.com