|Doc Hope's Bottle House|
(hit "refresh" to get the most recent version of this page; click on photos for larger images)
In 1941, Friel Dalton built this bottle house in Hillsville, VA for John Hope, a pharmacist nicknamed "Doc". It was built as a playhouse for Hope's daughter. It took about three months to build with Friel working 8-10 hours per day. The bottles came from all over including medicine bottles from Hope's store and wine bottles from a local restaurant.
Unlike other bottle houses, the bottles point outward so that the inner walls are flush. Green bottles form an "H" pattern (for Hope) on one of the side walls. There is also a blue bottle chandelier. The local townspeople called the bottle house "The House of a Thousand Headaches" referring to the number of wine bottles used in its construction. It measures about 15' x 25' and is still in great shape today. [photos thanks Andy Marsh]