email: agilitynut@hotmail.com
Loading

Kansas Movie Theatres (page 1)

(hit "refresh" to get the most recent version of this page; click on photos for larger images)

Granada Theatre
Kansas City, KS
Sunflower Theatre
Peabody, KS
Nomar Theatre
Wichita, KS
The Granada Theatre was designed by the Boller Brothers and opened in 1929. As an atmospheric theatre, the auditorium features a simulated Mediterranean open-air courtyard with statuary, fountains and torch-like lighting. The ceiling still features moving clouds and fake flying birds. The theatre closed in 1968 and was restored in the mid-1980s. In 2004, the building was refurbished again and reopened. In 2008, the theatre closed again. It reopened in 2010 as a live performance venue. For more, see this website.

The Sunflower Theatre was designed by the Boller Brothers and built in 1919. It is now used as the "Peabody Lanes" bowling alley. For more, see this website. [photo thanks Glenda Campbell]

The Nomar Theatre was also designed by the Boller Brothers. The theatre opened in 1929. The name came from its location at the corner North and Market. In the 1980s, the building was used as a furniture store. The building has been used for storage for many years. In 2009, renovation work began to return the building to use as a theatre. For more, see this website. [photo thanks Glenda Campbell]

Orpheum Theatre
Wichita, KS
The Orpheum Theatre was designed by John Eberson and Harry Weaver as an atmospheric theatre. The auditorium resembles a Spanish courtyard. The Orpheum opened in 1922. It is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. For more, see these websites: 1, 2, and 3.

Plaza Theatre
Ottawa, KS
The Plaza Theatre was designed by the Boller Brothers. The theatre was probably built in the 1930s. In 2006, just after the first photo above was taken, the theatre was restored, repainted, and reopened. In 2007, the name was changed to the Crystal Plaza Theater. For more, see this website. [first photo thanks Glenda Campbell]

Granada Theatre
Lawrence, KS
Glenwood Theatre
Overland Park, KS
The Granada Theatre was designed by the Boller Brothers and opened in 1934. The original marquee looked like the one at the Plaza Theatre in Ottawa (shown above). The Granada Theatre was converted into a nightclub in 1993. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2.

The Glenwood Theatre opened in 1966 and closed in 2000. The theatre was demolished and replaced with a mall. This 43 foot tall marquee sign was adopted by the Glenwood Arts Theatre and moved a few blocks from its original location. The "Glenwood" letters were removed from the side of the former theatre building, replacing a plastic box on the sign. For more, see these websites: 1, 2, and 3.

Fine Arts Theatre
Shawnee, KS
The Fine Arts Theatre was designed by the Boller Brothers and opened in 1927 as the Mission Theatre. In the 1940s, the name was changed to the Aztec Theatre. In the 1970s, it became the Fine Arts Theater. It closed in 1974 for renovations but never reopened. Renovation work started in 2005 but this theatre is still closed. I believe the marquee sign came from the Plaza Theatre in Abilene, KS before that theatre was destroyed. For more, see this website.

Granada Theatre
Emporia, KS
The Granada Theatre was designed by the Boller Brothers and opened in 1929. It closed in 1982 and was saved from demolition in 1994. Renovation work began in 2004 and the theatre reopened in 2008. The Granada now features live entertainment and films and can be leased for special events. The building is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. For more, see this website.

Hollywood Theatre
Leavenworth, KS
Vogue Theatre
Salina, KS
The Hollywood Theatre was designed by Robert Boller and built in 1938. It closed in the 1970s and was donated to the city. The theatre is now used as a performing arts center. For more, see this website.

The Vogue Theatre opened in 1938 and remained in operation into the 1980s. The building now houses the accounting firm of Clubine and Rettele. The marquee still remains. For more, see this website.

Stiefel Theatre for the Performing Arts
Salina, KS
The Stiefel Theatre for the Performing Arts was designed by the Boller Brothers. It opened in 1931 as the Fox Watson Theatre. The theatre closed in the 1990s. In 2001, renovation work began and the theatre was converted into a performing arts center. It reopened in 2003. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2.

KS (page 2) KS (page 3) Main Theatres Page