|Teepee Lodging (page 1)|
(hit "refresh" to get the most recent version of this page; click on photos for larger images)
|Mac's Indian Village
|Mac's Indian Village was built in 1934, a year after the Wigwam Village in Mammoth Cave, KY which was probably the inspiration. Mac's offers 16 different sized cabins with 12 feet tall three-dimensional teepees stuck to the front. In 2005, the place was closed and put up for sale. It reopened in 2007 with new owners. For more, see this website.|
|Indian Village Motor Court [gone]
|The Indian Village Motor Court was on Route 1, 60 miles south of Richmond. According to the postcard, "The Indian village is a camp for the discriminating. The wigwams are of wood and steel construction, and each contains a complete bathroom, hot and cold water, and shower." There were also private garages and a 24-hour restaurant on site. There is no information about when they were built or destroyed.|
The Indian Village featured cabins, a gas station, and a restaurant with "dining and dancing". The central teepee was built in 1928 by Frank W. McDonald. It is 50 feet tall and 33 feet in diameter. The first floor had restrooms and Indian artifacts. The second floor was used as a living space. Gas pumps were located in front of the building. The attendants were local Indian boys dressed in tribal attire. In 1935, McDonald added a dance hall and beer garden. There were also 14 smaller teepees laid out in a semicircle around the taller teepee which have been destroyed. Other locations were planned but never built. McDonald's Indian Village predated Redford's Wigwam Villages.
The gas pumps were removed sometime after the mid-1970s. The building with the two smaller teepees shown in the bottom rows above was used as the complex's restaurant. In 2008, this building and the teepee were repainted. They were still vacant when these photos were taken in 2010. For more, see these websites: 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5.
|Main Teepees Page|